October 19, 2012

Bryant

Bryant, age 7
Plantation, Florida (1993)

I was one of the lucky ones with my family. From a very early age, my mother knew she had a gay son. She always tells the story of how I used to be obsessed with "The Little Mermaid" and how I REALLY wanted the Ariel Barbie doll.

Although my dad didn't approve, she bought the doll for my birthday.

And I took Ariel with me just about everywhere: to the store, to school for show and tell, and to our family gatherings.

One day we went to the beach and Ariel was right by my side. I wanted to go swimming in the ocean and it's only natural that I wanted to take my mermaid doll for a swim.

Unfortunately, due to a huge wave I lost grip of my beloved doll, and she was taken out to sea.


My dad swam out to try to save her, but it was too late. I was crushed and I cried for days. My mom said she was home under the sea, but I just couldn't get over it.

The next day I woke up to find a new Ariel Barbie and a note from my mother that said, "Look who came home!!!" And all was right in the world again.
______________________________________________________

Also check out "My First Gay Crush Blog"

6 comments:

michael said...

Love this. Love that the dad swam out to try to rescue the doll. Love this blog.

Daddy Squeeze Me! said...

I AM SO IN LOVE WITH THIS STORY!

Maple said...

Very nice post, I follow your blog is always appreciated.
Mom Shopping

Michael said...

"Michael.." everything you said.

April Yee said...

Love this story!

Anonymous said...

Noviembre story... :)