January 17, 2011

Bill

Bill, age 5
Ft. Worth, TX (1973)
 
I was the sensitive kid growing up, with lots of girl friends. I always identified with the girls, and I always wanted to play with their Barbies - or play the mom, or the nurse, or Wonder Woman.

Looking at this picture I now understand why, when I did come out at 26 to my grandmother,
she told me 'Oh baby. I have known that since you were 7. I've just been waiting for you to tell me'.

And thinking back on this time, I wish that I had grown up in an era, such as today, where it is not as big a deal to be gay.


Makes me wonder what I could have become.

Bill's first, famous-person same sex crush:
Mark Hamill (Luke Skywalker, "Star Wars")
My parents took me to see "Star Wars' for my birthday one year,
and I was just over the moon for Luke Skywalker

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You can still become whatever you want, Bill. You were an adorable little kid!

C.W.Henson said...

Yes, the world's still changing, maybe you aren't done becoming :)