January 29, 2011

Kelly Jo

Kelly Jo, age 10
Seabrook, TX (1975)


On the day this pic was shot, I didn't tell my Mom it was school-photo day, and I dressed myself! Everything was great until 3 months later, when the large package of photos came in the mail. But it was worth it!!

 I always had a bad reaction with dresses. The thought of being made to get into one gave me the cold sweats.

I'm 45 now, and still don't own one...

When you're young, you're told a lot of things: How to act, what to do, what to believe, how to feel. Then with time you find out what really matters to YOU.

Yes, it was hard growing up gay.
But looking back now, I wouldn't change a thing.

It made me who I am today:
Strong, Creative, Caring.

Kelly Jo's first, famous-person same sex crush:
Pam Dawber (Mindy on "Mork & Mindy")
____________________________________________
1979 Mork & Mindy Robin Williams & Pam Dawber Dynamite Magazine Sissies and Tomboys: Gender Nonconformity and Homosexual Childhood 

3 comments:

tasch said...

im glad youre who you are. i cant imagine a different kelly jo. wouldnt want a different kelly jo! xoxox

Spouse Walker said...

LMAO. Your story reminded me of a roomate i once had in San Franciscowho was telling me about how she felt as a child way back when in Fayetteville North Carolina. She just finally looked at me and said " I am black, i am a woman, i am a lesbian and i was adopted. I am not ever wearing a f...... dress again." It was priceless. Just like you. Very strong indeed.

Jus Suppose said...

I had a thing for Mindy too!