January 19, 2011

Andrew

Andrew, age 7
Ruston, LA (1984)


I was a very sweet, shy, stereotypical teacher's pet. This was snack time after my kindergarten graduation. The only thing I remember is being happy that I got to sit next to this girl. I liked her.

"Snack Time"
I knew I was gay form a very early age. My older sister was in theater, so I knew what it was. And I knew the word was "gay". We lived way out in the country, and I remember being about 5 years old, and my much older brother had his track buddies over to run around our property. I loved their super skimpy 1980's running shorts, with the white pant-liner things inside.

About my first crushes: I taped the miniseries "Elvis & Me" and watched it over and over. Later I had crushes on James Dean and Greg Louganis. I wrote letters to people to try and get Greg's address including Oprah (she wrote back but didn't give me the address) and The Advocate (who DID give me his address). Greg wrote me back and I still have the signed photo of him diving.
 
Looking back at this pic of me now?
Well - my hand gestures are still pretty much the same.

Andrew's first, famous-person same sex crush:
Elvis Presley
_______________________________________________
Elvis: '68 Comeback Greg Louganis Autographed/Hand Signed Swimming 8x10 Photo The Complete James Dean Collection (East of Eden / Giant / Rebel Without a Cause Special Edition) Growing Up Gay in the South: Race, Gender, and Journeys of the Spirit (Haworth Gay & Lesbian Studies) 

2 comments:

martin said...

Snack time...Excellent!!

Paul Great Idea!

everyone talks about you thanks

Adam said...

Love your story!! I'm from Ruston too!! My first crushes that I can remember were Garth Brooks, Josh Hartnett, and Ashton Kutcher. -Adam