January 18, 2011

Morgan

Morgan, age 8
La Mirada, CA (1968)

I feel like I was a tomboy the moment I was spit out of the womb.  My brother's "Hang Ten" shirts and GI Joe dolls were always more suitable to me than my dresses and Barbies.

"Me in my older brother's Boy Scout uniform"
When I was about 8 years old, my brother joined the Boy Scouts and I wanted to join, too, because I loved his uniform. It had all kinds of cool pockets and a belt and a tie and merit badges.

I wanted to earn my own badges. I wanted to go camping, learn to "widdle" a piece of wood, and scale the side of a mountain.

Instead, I was put into the Girl Scouts - and there I was, in a dress, doing girlie things for badges and selling cookies. I didn't last long.

As for my brother's uniform, I had to settle for parading around in it when he wasn't home.


When I look at this photo now, it reminds me how natural it was for me to be a tomboy and it is so clear that our sexuality is predetermined and not a choice at all. My first girl crush was on a girl in my 2nd grade class.

I wanted to be near her at all costs.

Morgan's first, famous-person same sex crush:
Stevie Nicks
I adored her!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Nice!

Celia (from Spain) said...

You were very atractive!! I love how you look in uniform :)

Jess said...

I remember fuming about the injustice of Girl Scouts, too! The boys got to go camping and race cars and do all of this cool stuff and we...made crafts. :P