January 16, 2011

Paul

Paul, age 12
San Antonio, Texas (1972) 

This is my 8th grade class picture from Nimitz Jr. High in San Antonio.

I saw David Cassidy and Freddy from "Scooby Doo" wearing "apache ties" and I thought they were cool. Of course, apache ties were very short.

This colorful number was actually one of my mother's scarves. But I thought I was really high fashion. Needless to say, I got picked on a lot.

I always thought boys were cute and always had girl friends. But my Southern Baptist upbringing didn't leave room for being gay.

I finally came out to myself at the age of 19 while attending Baylor University in Waco, Texas.

What the hell was I thinking?

On the up side, now that I'm an openly gay comedian, this picture is an integral part of my stand-up act.

Paul's first, famous-person same sex crushes: 
Shaun Cassidy, Vince Van Patten, David Cassidy ___________________________________________________

Click here - "Born This Way: Real Stories of Growing Up Gay" book
Click here - "My First Gay Crush Blog"

Click to follow my blog with Bloglovin'

1 comment:

Kathryn Thomas said...

Yeah - that's a pretty excellent picture!