January 25, 2011

Soraida

Soraida, Age 8
Odessa, TX (1996)

I'm on the right in my pic, and I always seemed to have my hands in my pockets or hidden behind my back, as if I was uncomfortable around everyone. But in reality, it was because I always felt different, like I didn't belong in any certain group. I never fit in with the boys, and especially never with the girls.

"Always trying to hide, and hide who I was, from everyone"
I was always really shy when talking to females. I've always felt different since birth.

Later on between the ages of 10 and 12, I realized it was because of my sexual orientation.

At this age the thing that ruled me more  - and still does - is music. I really liked making my mom play me old classic rock albums or Metallica CD's every weekday, as she drove my sister and I to work.


My message to young gay and lesbian children and young adults now is:
Do not be afraid to be who you are.

It's always important to realize you're living this life for you, and not anyone else. So never let anyone try to burn out your light. It's the only true way for you to love yourself, your family, your friends, and most of all - the person you'll one day become.

Soraida's first, famous-person same sex crush:
Melanie C. (Spice Girls)
I'd much rather look at pictures of her,
instead of the the boys from N*Sync, like my sister did.

1 comment:

limegreenlimes said...

I love this: "never let anyone try to burn out your light"--well said!