January 15, 2011

Sara

Sara, age 8
Santa Clarita, California (1990)


This is a picture of me at the age of 8, dressed as Joey McIntyre (of New Kids On The Block fame).

That year, my sisters dressed up as a bride and Ariel, from The Little Mermaid.

Looking back, my Mom distinctly remembers this Halloween as the one where she finally realized there was really something "different" about me.

I wanted to BE Joey McIntyre; never anything more than that.

And, I definitely used my get-up as an excuse to chase the girls around the playground.

____________________________________________________

Click here - "Born This Way: Real Stories of Growing Up Gay" book
Click here - "My First Gay Crush Blog"


5 comments:

coulrophobic agnostic said...

Hey, I think it's brilliant! And what a great excuse to chase girls - wish I'd thought of it!

Anonymous said...

You look like blossom! So 90's.

Anonymous said...

What a stud! So cute.

Anonymous said...

I love it<3!
I think of myself as a femme lesbian in a boy's body. Used to day-dream all the time about demasculinization/being a girl as early as I can remember, but always liked girls too. I've tried to come out gay, even had a boyfriend breifly, but I've realized that I just like girls, particularly dom/tom-boy girls. They drive me nuts!
I would've had a huge, frustrated crush on you as a kid!

Jusieatwork said...

Hahahahaha. Awesome. Sara, I love you.