January 15, 2011

Wren

Wren, age 8
Elmore, NY (1980)


"Giving you Mother Goose REALNESS!
Here we are in my childhood home just outside of Queens, NY. I'm in the feather boa and black socks as evening gloves, performing various nursery rhymes for my relatives.

Though I cant IMAGINE what nursery rhyme WE must have been doing...

Next to me was a "Fresh Air Fund" boy named Ulysses, from Brooklyn. He was there to enjoy the suburbs.

Boy was he in for it!!!!!

This was pretty common in my house. My parents encouraged my brother and I to always be creative, and accept ourselves and others.

So even though I felt different, I was ENCOURAGED to be myself.

So I did hook-rugs with the girls instead of playing sports. I read a lot and performed the Evita commercials with my brother on the stairs in our living room.

You know, regular kid stuff!!!!!

So I was VERY lucky. I grew up in a safe, supportive home. Not to say it didn't have its ups and downs - but for the most, part my childhood was magical.

And I took a lot of flack from the outside world for it - and STILL do.

People don't like what's different. It SCARES them, because it makes them face what's inside themselves; the things they HIDE, the things they left behind.

It's too bad, because I STILL love to put on a bow and do a reenactment of Little Boy Blue every once in awhile. ;-)

Wren's first, famous-person same sex crush:
John Schneider ("Dukes Of Hazzard")

Oh, those tight jeans! WOOF!

3 comments:

Bookphilia said...

God, I love this site - and this post in particular! You're lovely.

coulrophobic agnostic said...

How cute! The mask sure lends your buddy there a hugely unimpressed expression...hee.

dys·func·tion said...

I love your expression in this photo! And I am once again pleased to hear about a safe home environment for children to be themselves. Amazing.