April 13, 2011

Darryl

Darryl, age 5
Niagara Falls, New York (1991)

The person I am today, is the same person I've been my entire life. I've always had the same enthusiasm and energy for life since the beginning.

I was best friends with all of the girls, and I did all the things they did, like playing with Barbies.

I mean, Barbie is iconic! Hello!

I knew it wasn't the norm, but my parents always accepted it. I knew
I had their blessing, no matter what I chose to do with my free time.

I definitely got teased a lot. And while it sounds cliche', it DOES make you stronger. It really does.

I came out at 15-years old, and I'm now approaching my 10-year anniversary of being an out and proud homosexual male.

I can't believe it's been a decade!


I think the thing that gives me the greatest joy in my life, is that I am able to be 100% who I want to be. But also with the complete support and love of my family and friends. What more can one ask for?

I wish the same for anyone and everyone who has been in the same shoes as me. So just be yourself, as there's no one else quite like you! And embrace it!
______________________________________________________

Click here - "Born This Way: Real Stories of Growing Up Gay" book
Click here - "My First Gay Crush Blog"
Click to follow my blog with Bloglovin'

1 comment:

A Daft Scots Lass said...

I may not comment everyday but I certainly read most of the posts.