April 22, 2011

Lulu

Lulu, age 5
Victoria, BC, Canada (1965)

That's me, the little boy - oops, grrrl - on the left with my brother and sister.

At some point, my mother gave up trying to dress me like a proper little girl for everyday wear. But then school came and spoiled all that.

I would tear my dress off the minute I got through the door at home, leaving a trail of clothes behind me.

I left elementary school as a happy heterosexual, and went that way through high school. And, on to a marriage and having my own daughter.

But today, I'm the happy little lesbian I feel I was born to be. Thankfully, these days, there is more freedom to be a square peg that doesn't fit into a round hole...

1 comment:

MeanDonnaJean said...

DAMN! I'd NEVER guess there was a lil' girl hidden underneath those blue jeans. Ya'd be a GREAT lookin' dude, Ma'am.

And that's a compliment.