February 07, 2011

Chacha

Chacha, age 7
Houston, Texas (1983)

My family recently acquired a stash of old photos, and I found this gem. As you can see, I'm a tough cowboy at the cotton candy stand. I got this cowboy hat at a rodeo at the Astrodome in Houston. I might have had to call myself a cowgirl, but really - I was a cowboy. I was very impressed with anyone who could ride a mechanical bull and often worried about whether or not I could hang on

"Cowboy at the cotton candy stand."
I really liked Lady Diana, practicing being a Solid Gold dancer, and enjoyed the science on the "3-2-1 Contact" TV show.

My first real crush was on Olivia Newton-John, mainly as depicted on her Physical album cover.
I knew it was wrong, but I had to look. I recognized this wasn't normal, and decided I ought to keep it to myself.

I then later fell in love with Nick Rhodes of Duran Duran, because he wore so much makeup.

I was really surprised, actually, to see this picture of me being so tough as a kid.
I tend to fluctuate between being feminine and being tough. The tough part wasn't captured as much on film. So it was a real treat to get to see myself acting, well, like myself, at an early age.

Chacha's first, famous-person same sex crush:
Olivia Newton-John
_____________________________________________________
Physical3-2-1 CONTACT Extras (3-2-1 CONTACT Extras, Teacher's Guide)Diana: Her True Story in Her Own WordsAnnie Oakley (DK Biography)

1 comment:

Ashley said...

This is so inspiring. This makes me feel alot less alone in the world. I don't feel socially "unexceptable" for who I am, and knowing someone else is simalar to me puts a smile on my face. Thank you.