February 08, 2011

David

David, age 5
Mt. Vernon, OH (1970)

This is me, Little David, from Mt. Vernon, Ohio - birthplace of Paul Lynde!

"Drying my hair with The Joy of Cooking"
I LOVED this hairdryer and used it whether my hair needed drying or not. It was like having a big, yellow, warm 'n sunshiney, electric hat on my head. I'm pretty sure that the book in my lap is "The Joy of Cooking" and I'm pretending to read.

I always felt different. I was always "too sensitive" and I didn't have many friends. And the few friends I did have were girls, not boys.

David's first, famous-person same sex crushes:
Freddie (on "Scooby Doo")
Aqua-Man, Davey Crockett, & Davy Jones ("The Monkees")
____________________________________________________
 The Adventures of Aquaman: The Complete Collection (DC Comics Classic Collection) They Made a Monkee Out of Me Center Square: The Paul Lynde Story

4 comments:

Brandon said...

I think most gay men can relate to the "most of my friends were girls" bit.

And don't worry - I secretly envied my mother when I'd accompany her to the hair salon and watch her read a magazine under those big hair dryers. ; ) More common than you might think.

Ben said...

"big, yellow, warm 'n sunshiney, electric hat on my head". I wouldn't mind having one of those nowadays. LOL!

Alexandriaweb said...

That hair dryer is rad, I want one :D

Darby said...

Hey David,

I also am from Mt. Vernon. Pretty awesome that there is a nice lineage of gays from there!

-Darby