February 10, 2011

Luke

Luke, age 3
Flagler Beach, FL (1989)

I know this was taken on a vacation while visiting my uncle’s family. Sadly,
I have no recollection of what was occurring at that moment. So in the hopes I was as much like Stewie Griffin as I'd like my younger self to have been, I imagine I must have been aghast due to something about a family member. Whenever I was with my uncle's family, I recall passing what seemed like entire eras pondering over the absurdity - which was the millions of varicose veins that painted my uncle's then wife’s legs. Maybe she was in-front taking the picture.


I discovered I was gay when I was 12, but spent the next 11 years doing everything I could for this not to be the case.

Why? Because I was the golden child in my family. And the pressure to be perfect screwed with my desire for personal happiness.

Plus, I went to a private school where the students' mantra was 'Kill anything which might seem queer, overweight, ugly, or dorky'.

And I would have been bully fodder, if my appreciation of the "Sailor Moon" series was exposed. But nowadays, I feel I've made a complete 180 change in the way I look at the fact that I’m gay.

What worked for me, and what I recommend for new gays is:

1) Come out to a fellow gay who doesn’t pose any risk. I didn’t even really know the first person I told my "secret" to would end up being an incredible mentor. And who helped me more than he knows.

2) Fall in love. It's incredible when the desire to publicly express your feelings for someone outweighs your biggest fear.

Luke's first, famous-person same sex crush:
Mario Lopez
But only while acting as Olympic diver Greg Louganis
___________________________________________________
Breaking the Surface: The Greg Louganis Story Breaking the Surface Sailor Moon - DELUXE SET Volumes 8-14 (40 Episodes) Vols. 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 Family Guy Presents Stewie Griffin - The Untold Story

5 comments:

Rowan said...

adore this post, especially the advice to fall in love.

Boni said...

Feel embrace for me, Luke (franita)

nOx said...

did both and it worked for me :)

Honni said...

love your work GF! and support you all the way!

Jen said...

Can I get an Amen?! Love it you ol' DB. I think you are fantastic. Love you.