February 09, 2011

Kirk

Kirk, age 7
West Chicago, Illinois (1981)

As a kid I loved Ken dolls. I had quite a collection and enjoyed playing along with my sisters and their Barbies. The only thing was that eventually my sisters outgrew the Barbies, and I never, ever did.

I first put two and two together and knew I was gay around the age of 11.

I had always heard that boys would grow up to like girls, and that was that.

I didn't know if or when I'd begin to develop sexual feelings towards girls.

I also didn't know if all the things I had already been thinking about boys were even sexual at all.

My first clue came from some horrible little everything-you-need-to-know-about-your-body-through-Christ-type of books that my mom had brought home, and surreptitiously slipped onto the bookshelf. In its 200 pages, it mentioned homosexuality exactly once - only to say that it was 'a horrible thing that will NEVER happen to you.'

Well, to hell with that!

I now know that I have always been who I am, and that honesty is the key to living a happy and fulfilled life. Be yourself above all else; if you don't, who will?

First celebrity crush: I don't remember an exact object of my nascent affections, but I do know that seeing boxers all sweaty in their satin shorts gave me very strange feelings inside.
_________________________________________________

Click here - "Born This Way: Real Stories of Growing Up Gay" book
Click here - "My First Gay Crush Blog"
Click to follow my blog with Bloglovin'

3 comments:

Doctor of Record said...

I'm a heterosexual physician who never had a sex ed class - ever! (I was able to figure it out on my own, however.) I would say that the"nothing" I had was as bad as the everything-you-need-to-know-about-your-body-through-Christ-type book and just as "Christian". We are not taught about our bodies except to fear them and, apparently, to fear other peoples'. I wonder if we were taught about our bodies and sexuality in a non-threatening, non-confrontational way, we wouldn't need (brilliant) blogs like this. We'd all see - hetero and homosexual alike - that we are all just biology. mortalityandfriends.blogspot.com

spaceman said...

Hey cool blog man, I'm not gay but I am followin.

I support everyone being themselves.
Followin'.
Limitfears.blogspot.com

La Belle Alis said...

I think your blog is an awesome idea. When I see these pictures of people as kids, it makes me wonder how anyone could bully a child or baby for something so personal. After all, we are all still children inside, right?