February 13, 2011

Jerrod

Jerrod, age 5
Little Rock, AR (1983)

My female cousin received a makeup kit for Christmas, and I was blown away by the possibilities. I KNEW red was my color, and nothing matches red lipstick better than red blush (which was also the lipstick). We had a blast until our parents saw us. They waited long enough to take a photo before yelling at us and making me take the makeup off. I complied, but felt guilty. Why was it OK for my cousin, but not me?

"Strike a pose"
I knew I liked men at age 4. I got a birthday gift in Batman and Robin wrapping paper and I couldn’t keep my eyes off of Robin’s legs. I didn’t know what I felt, but that didn’t matter - his legs were hot.

When I came out at age 15, my parents were shocked. I thought the whole world knew. Growing up gay for me was not the struggle it was for many. I never got beat up, but I was scared a lot. My experiences in school led me to my current career as an administrator in a high school. I taught for a number of years, but wanted to reach out to more kids.

As a school administrator, I can affect thousands of children throughout my career, and let each one know that they are unique, and they are loved. And that even if it's just me, they have an adult on their side who will do everything within his power to protect him or her.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I'm so proud of this blog! I will be an avid reader and supporter. I hope that thousands read this and understand that there are people, just like you, to reach out to when they are lost. You are one of the strongest men I know and I love you!
Miranda

Library Lynn said...

I am a high school librarian, and I know exactly what you mean about impacting many children and making sure each of them know they are loved and unique. I work very hard on that, and I've been sharing this delightful (and sometimes really sad) blog with them. Even if some of my kids don't have their parents support, they know they have mine, and I will fight for them anyway they need me to. It's not the same as a parent, but it's important to them nonetheless. Thank you for being my ideal (and quite rare in my experience) administrator! Do you need a school librarian? :)

Best,
Lynn

Anonymous said...

I love this post. LOVE it.

And this: "And that even if it's just me, they have an adult on their side who will do everything within his power to protect him or her.:

It really does take only ONE person to make a huge difference in someone's life. I wish you the best!