January 15, 2011

Kevin

Kevin, age 4
N. Mississippi (1981)

I don't really remember a lot about this time. I had two older brothers who where really into hunting and fishing, something I have never enjoyed. About this same time, I got a Barbie "Styling Head" for Christmas from my Mom, officially because my Mom liked to relax by having someone comb her hair.
And I got a Winchester shotgun from my dad.

The Barbie head got a lot more use than the shotgun ever did.

"I've always been a bear lover"

It's hard to answer when first knew I was gay, or felt "different". Most people talk about a closet when coming out. I had a brick wall of religious ideology to bust through before I could open the closet door. I credit the 5 openly gay guys in my senior class for helping me start the process indirectly - even though it was three more years before I came out to myself.

I enjoyed my childhood, and thankfully was never really picked on.

Kevin's first, famous-person same sex crushes:
David James Elliott (Cmdr. Harmon Rabb from "JAG")
________________________________________________
JAG (Judge Advocate General): The Final SeasonBarbie Candy Glam Style Station Styling HeadGrowing Up Gay in the South: Race, Gender, and Journeys of the Spirit (Haworth Gay & Lesbian Studies)BearCity

6 comments:

alysia angel said...

so so so precious.

Anonymous said...

haha. Nice. I like the comment under the photo.

coulrophobic agnostic said...

So adorable. I love how the bear matches your ensemble.

thwany said...

too precious for words

Lira Kellerman said...

great caption!

Anonymous said...

DJE! I watched JAG because of him.. :)