January 17, 2011

Brendan

Brendan, age 9
Long Island, NY (1979)

Growing up the youngest of 7 children, there was a sense that I could do no wrong. Since my parents had been through it all with 6 other kids, by the time they got to raising me, I could be whatever and whoever I wanted to be with much support -- and no judgements.

"Liza with a Z, Brendan with a B!"
Which is clearly obvious in this picture taken at one of my brother's college graduation.

This picture represents only a small portion of the family members present at the time.

But there I am in the center of the action, side-beveling and giving face and preparing for some kickline like the little Liza Minnelli I was.

I love this photo because I look unabashedly happy and completely unselfconscious.

Am I like this today?

At times, absolutely yes. Which is a nice thing to be able to say.

I always knew I was distinctly different from everyone around me, and my parents made me feel special and loved through it all.

When I came out to my parents when I graduated from college, it was no different.
So I am a lucky man, indeed.

Brendan's first, famous person same sex crush:
Doug McKeon ("On Golden Pond")

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Divine.